Wednesday, March 9, 2011

10 More Memories from the Old Homestead

1. I knew my birth was unplanned when my parents suggested I be an Indian Chief for Halloween. The costume consisted of an old bathroom towel, water colors, and a head dress worn ten years earlier by one of my siblings.

2. We never had matching den furniture.

3. My mom use to say, "Do you want hamburgers or pizza tonight? Oh wait, the Schwann's man came. You can have hamburgers, pizza, or a chicken patty."

4. My brother and I were swimming one hot afternoon. Kevin was hopping up and down from the bottom of the pool to the top of the water. Each time he would come up he would get a little bit closer to me. This was a fun way for him to try to scare me. "Mom! Mom! A monster. He's scary." The next thing we knew my mom, in full work attire, had jumped into the pool, and was pulling my brother out by his hair. Kevin said, Mom! What are you doing!?"  At that point she realized we were playing.   "Oh I thought you said, Mom! Mom! It's Kevin. He's drowning."

5. One October Kevin ate all of my Halloween candy. I noticed the wrappers on the top bunk. When I confronted him, he denied it. "Why are there candy wrappers on the top bunk?"
     "Bad dog! I better pull that rope ladder up next time."

6. We had a sweet station wagon that looked like a Country time Lemonade can.

7. My aunt who lived across the street, was growing stuff in a garden in our yard. She kind of gave up, and let the garden grow out of control with weeds. Kevin went into the weedy jungle to retrieve a soccer ball. After what seemed like 20 minutes, he came out with a giant watermelon. He then cracked it over his knee and ate the entire thing. We never found the soccer ball.

8. My oldest brother Todd liked to take the rest of us down to the bottom of the pool. He would hold one of us down there until he decided it was time for another breath at the top of the water. I'm not sure who gave him the expertise to decide when my tiny lungs were ready for another breath. On the other hand I am still here.

9. My sister Randi, and my oldest brother Todd used to steal Kevin's swim suit, and hang it on the tree in the front yard. Whenever he finally worked up the courage to make the far trek around the front of the house, they would yell, "Nature boy! Nature boy!"

10. Duct Tape can fix anything, including Lazy boys, ceiling fans, electrical cords, and bunny ears.

No comments:

Post a Comment