Saturday, February 19, 2011

10 Things I Grew Up with

1. Strange Holiday Traditions

2. That one crazy Uncle

3. An airplane hanger and runway with no airplane

4. A water well

5. A treasure filled dump at the edge of our property

6. A dried up fishing pond, that always made me wonder, "Why do they call it a fishing pond?"

7. There was a giant Oak Tree, equipped with a less than stable piece of plywood, referred to as a treehouse.

8. An aunt who would give gifts, only to take them back, and sell them at the local flea market. Ex: Once she gave me a malt machine for my birthday. A few days later she stopped by on her way to the flea market.   "I need to borrow that malt machine to make malts for the kids at market."    My mom sat me down to explain my aunt's intentions, but I already knew.

9. Marshall Watkins, the old man who lived across the street, and had a yard that would rival that of Fred and Lamont Sandford. He always had a  Mason jar full of cold sweet tea, fresh eggs, and stories that would make you question your own manhood.

10. A giant butane tank that looked like a submarine.

No comments:

Post a Comment